|Availability:||In stock (2)|
What is Shochu?
Relatively unknown in the U.S., shochu is a single-distilled spirit that has been around since the 1500s. Complex and versatile, it has outsold sake over the past decade. One reason for shochu’s popularity is that it has zero carbs and lower calories than sake, making it a healthier option for people. Thanks to special enzymes, shochu is also known to reduce the risk of strokes and heart disease.
Nankai, which translates to “the South Sea,” is inspired by the clear blue waters of Amami Oshima, an island paradise off the southwestern coast of Japan. A vacuum-distilled shochu made from carefully selected sugarcane and rice, Nankai is handcrafted and masterfully aged exclusively in Amami.
Besides tasting fantastic, here are some other reasons why people love us:
• Nankai is gluten-free because rice and sugarcane are naturally without gluten.
• Nankai has no sugar because it’s distilled.
• Shochu has lower calories per serving than sake or vodka (only 30 per serving versus 90 for vodka/whiskey).
• Nankai is vacuum-distilled and carefully aged to be extra clean and smooth (no hangover with reasonable consumption). The result makes Nankai crisp, fragrant, and easier to drink than traditional shochus made from sweet potato or barley.
• Gold Medal from LA Spirits Competition and Double Gold from SIP Awards.